Windows Server 2008 R2 Live Migration: “Overview & Architecture” and “Step-by-Step Guide” Documents Released
Microsoft released in the last days two new more documents about one of the most expected technologies on Windows Server 2008 R2: Live Migration. This new technology will allow you to move any running virtual machine using Hyper-V from Windows Server 2008 R2 or Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (the free hypervisor offered by Microsoft) to another machine with any of those operating systems, without any downtime or disruption of the service.
Here are the two links for the new articles:
Here’s an example graphic of how Live Migration setup handles Configuration Files of the virtual machines:
It is important for you to notice that Live Migration requires Failover Clustering to be configured on all hosts, access to a shared storage (like in NAS or SAN environments) and a special network configured between them to be used only for Live Migration feature.
For more information about Hyper-V Failover Clustering check this guide:Hyper-V Step-by-Step Guide: Hyper-V and Failover Clustering
Complete list of requirements for Live Migration:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise Edition
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Datacenter Edition
- Live migration is also supported on Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2.
- Microsoft Failover Clustering must be configured on all physical hosts that will use live migration
- Failover Clustering supports up to 16 nodes per cluster
- The cluster should be configured with a dedicated network for the live migration traffic
- Physical host servers must use a processor or processors from the same manufacturer
- Physical hosts must be configured on the same TCP/IP subnet
- Physical hosts must have access to shared storage
Other interesting links about Hyper-V, Hyper-V Server and Failover Cluster:
– Hyper-V Planning and Deployment Guide
– Failover Cluster Deployment Guide
– Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Validating Hardware for a Failover Cluster
– The Microsoft Support Policy for Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters
– Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Beta Available for Download
– Hyper-V Server: Installing, configuring and troubleshooting